Party Wall

From an Experienced Firm of Chartered Surveyors

As experts in Party Wall surveying we are well qualified to offer specialist and practical party wall advice relating to this complex legislation. We can advise you on whether the Party Wall Act applies to you and can represent you regardless of whether you or your neighbours are undertaking the proposed works.

The Party Wall Act

The Party Wall Act exists to provide a statutory framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, party structures, boundary walls and excavations adjacent to or near neighbouring buildings and structures. A building owner proposing to start work falling within the realms of the Act must give adjoining owners a set period of notice of their intentions in the way prescribed by the Act. Adjoining owners can consent or dissent with what is proposed. Where the neighbouring owners dissent, the Act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes.

Generally, the Party Wall Act should be considered if any of the following works are being considered and there are adjoining or neighbouring properties in close proximity to the proposals:

Build on or at the boundary of your property to those adjoining it
Work on an existing party wall or party structure (a party structure can be a floor between flats)
Excavate below and near to the foundation level of your neighbour’s property.

Party Wall Services

If you require Party Wall Act Advice, we can offer the following services:

If you are the building owner and are carrying out building works

  • We can help you identify exactly which neighbouring properties fall within the scope of the Party Wall etc. Act.
  • You can instruct us to serve party wall notices.
  • We can prepare and agree a party wall award, (sometimes also referred to as a party wall agreement).
  • We can produce a schedule of the condition of the neighbouring properties, to ensure that you are not held responsible for any pre-existing defects.

If you are an adjoining owner and your neighbour is carrying out building works

  • We can advise you of your rights under the Party Wall etc Act.
  • Ensure all controls are in place to minimise the risk of damage to your property.
  • Monitor the building works and identify any damage to your property.
  • Note, under the Act, the developer is required to pay our fees on your behalf.

Crossley Hill Surveyors can also provide advice for developers and adjoining owners and prepare and agree Over sail Licences.

Get a Free Quote

Our Services

These are the main services that CH Surveyors offer. Please select the appropriate page for a more detailed explanation and then contact us if you require our services, or for further details.

Our Specialist